Sunday, November 7, 2010

Home for the next two years!

Greetings from Senegal!!
Well I'm technically all settled in my new site Kounkane!  I'm loving it here.  I've been here for almost three weeks, and my new host family is great! My new name is Salimatu Balde....they call me Saly for short :)  I have one mom and she is the head of the house hold (She has the exact same name as me). I have about 15 people that live in the compound with me.  I have my own hut in the compound. It's super cute!  The walls are blue and it's almost all set up.  I still have some more things to buy for the room like a mirror, and I want to hang a shelf over my table.  It's not completely finished but it's slowly coming along.  My amazing ancien planted some trees in my back yard and she was able to create a beautiful shade structure.  I sit out in the back yard every morning under this shade structure and have breakfast out on my cot!  It's so beautiful out there!  Thanks Dorothy! :)  Check out my pics!

I was having an issue with finding rat poop on my mosquito net every morning so I hung up some material over my bed to prevent it from landing on me during my sleep.  No need for that. :(  Kounkane is great.  The language is slowly coming, but my family is great to help out with teaching and correcting.  My aunt Fatimata is probably the greatest cook in Kounkane!  I eat really well here.  I'm actually worried about gaining weight here...crazy right? 
I have two and a half more weeks here at site to complete our five week challenge.  I think I can make it.  Kounkane is great and I've enjoyed the last two weeks here so far.  Right now I'm in Velingara for a 4 day language seminar.  I really need to improve my Fullakunda.  It's nice to be in a bigger city for a few days. I have a post office, bank, hotel with wifi, and a pastry shop!!!  It's nice to have access to those things for a few days.  Oh and on a high note, the electricity is finally back on all the time in Kounkane!  It was officially fixed last night!  And I have internet at my site!  Let me know if you guys want to schedule a skype chat! :)  Tabaski is next week and Thanksgiving is the week after! Can't wait!  Oh and it's getting much cooler here in the evenings and early mornings.  I was actually cold last night and it woke me up from a dead sleep!  Crazy! I should have a new posting soon! 
Sending love! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment