Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Isn’t it Ironic??

We made it down to Kolda!!! Yea! My new home for the next two years!  I love it down here.  We got here on Saturday the 16th and stayed at the regional house for about 3 days.  We had to get situated and buy a bunch of stuff to move into our new homes. My ancien Dorothy is seriously the most amazing person in PC Senegal.  She left me so much stuff so I really didn’t have to purchase very much.  Here is a very big THANK YOU to my girl Dorothy!  She did some amazing work here, and it’s an honor to be your replacement! J Thanks to her I already had a bed frame, table, bookshelf, a trunk to store all my crap, and a gas tank that still had gas!! Wow! There were even a ton of goodies inside the trunk! Thank you! Jaraama buy!
I ended up buying a ton of buckets, a really good mattress, a cot, and some material to hang over the doors of my room.  There are still lots of things I want to buy, but I’ll update that on another blog. J  We left Kolda même on Tuesday and spent the night in Velingara (the closest city to me).  Ali, Curtis, and I had to stay at a hotel, which for Africa, was incredibly nice.  It was quite ironic though because when we got here we saw the sign that said air conditioning and wifi!  We were so excited! Unfortunately for us, the one night we would actually be able to spend in a hotel was like living in the village (Pretty much every night I’ve had since I’ve been to Senegal, not including the training center in Thiès).  Apparently the Velingara area was having trouble with electricity; it had been out for 2 whole days by the time we got there.  So we were unable to use the air conditioning L  Ali and I spent the evening talking by candlelight; we joked about how romantic it was. 



The best part about our hotel stay was that they had an English toilet with the option of a seat—check out the seat behind the toilet.  For the record: I made Ali pose for this picture with the toilet J haha! Love you Ali!  Oh and the Velingara area is still having issues with the electricity, I’m writing in the dark right now!  Haha!  Well I’m settling in here in Kounkané, I’ll put up a post about that soon!  I’m trying to get internet; my ancien Dorothy left me her internet device (Thanks again!) Unfortunately I can’t get it to work (hence the simultaneous blog posts).  Inchallah, I get this working soon!  Miss you guys!  Sending love from Senegal! Xoxoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment