Monday, September 20, 2010

Korité

So korité or the end of Ramadan was last friday.  My host family braided my hair, check out the pic on fb!  haha! Its great and im loving them.  My family killed two of our chickens for dinner and I got to watch as they killed them.  It was really hard to watch, but the chickens are always running around our compound and bothering me so I didnt feel too bad.  The baby chicks get into my room sometimes and poop in the corner, its really annoying haha!  My brothers and sisters chase them out because they know I dont like the chickens there.  Arond the time the sunsets all the kids chase our chickens and goats around the compound trying to force them into the coup. They tie the goats to the tree so they are not roaming at night.  Ill try to get a photo!  Its so funny to watch.

So yea, Korité is basically a day where the women spend the morning cooking a gigantic lunch and where the men relax all day. The families eat a huge lunch, like thanksgiving and then they eat the leftovers hours later for dinner.  During the evening its like Halloween.  Everyone gets into their nicest clothes that they had specifically made for the occassion and walk around to their neighbors houses dressed up and ready to greet.  A lot of people go to these little photo shops to get their photos taken, and that part of Korité reminds me of Prom.  It was fun!

So im back in Mbour with my homestay family until Sept. 28.  I just got back from volunteer visits; which was amazing!  I will be living in the Kolda region in an overgrown village called Kounkané.  Check it out!  Oh and im currently obsessed with my favorite form of street food: bean sandwhiches.  Ill probably blog about those a little later when i have more internet time. 
Miss you guys!
Gros bisous!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment