Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First post!

Hey y'all!
So I started a blog :) I'm going to try my best to keep it updated but I'm really bad about sticking to stuff like this, and also my internet is really sporadic.  So we will   try to see how it goes.....

So Senegal is fabulous! I've been living here for one month to today!!! I'm currently living in between Mbour and Thies.  The Peace Corps training center is in Thies.  We come here for training sessions as a group.  It's where I usually access the internet.  It works sometimes :) hahaha!   My host family post is in Mbour.  I'm living there and I absolutely love it.  We are close to the beach and my host family is amazing!  I'm learning a language called Fulakunda Pulaar.  It is incredibly difficult ;(  But I feel like my language skills are coming along alright.  In my host family I have one dad and two moms.  Polygamy is legal.  My older or first mom is Maryama. She is great! Such a beautiful person! She makes me laugh!  My second mom is Ruby.  She is younger about 20 years old!  I'm older than she, but she is great! She is always laughing at me because I mispronounce things all the time :( haha!  Between my two moms I have about 10 brothers and sisters! My Senegalese family is sooooo big! But I love every single one of them! They are truly a great family.

So in my compound, where I live, I have no electricity or running water.  My host moms make two trips every day to the well to pull water.   I helped them once.  It was difficult.  They carry the water back in large buckets on their heads.  They don't spill one drop.  It's amazing!! I got to try to carry a little bucket on my head.  I spilled most of it down the left side of my body.  My family laughed and then took it away from me.  It was quite the experience.  In the evening, we usually eat by candle light or flashlight.  It took some getting used to, but now I really don't mind.  :) You can see all the stars very clearly! It's beautiful!
I'll try to post some things more often but at least this gives my family and friends a little insight into what's going on in Senegal.  I have so many more stories to share!
Write me!!
Love you!
<3 Sam :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment