Friday, August 12, 2011

1 Year!

Today marks my one year anniversairy since my stage (August 2010) left the USA and embarked on our journey to Senegal.  I can't believe how fast time has flown by! I have a feeling the second year will go by much faster.  My first year here has been amazing! I've learned a new language, which I never believed the other volunteers when they told me that you'd start to feel comfortable after a year.  Well, my skeptisism has proved me wrong, I'm a year in, and I am very proud of the level of pulaar I've achieved :) My village tells me now all the time that I can speak pulaar; it's such a reassuring moment when that happens. I also feel comfortable traveling around by myself, bargaining for things in the marches, and busting out into spontaneous dance moves at the sound of repeated clapping. 
So much has happened in this past year that I never would have imagined I would ever do.  For instance, last week, I spent four hours in the Thies garage waiting for our car to fill up to go to Tamba, and while I waited I sat in the back of a station wagon (Sept Place) with the luggage (because it was the only part that was shaded) and hung out with the Talibe (children beggars who typically speak pulaar).  I even danced Yuzza (senegalese dance) with them because they didn't think I could do it.  It was a proud moment. A year ago, I would not have done that. Nope. You couldn't have paid me to do that.  Another thing I've learned about myself a year in, is my ability to just be.  In Amerik, we are always on the go. Time is slow in Senegal.  I remember last year being with our first home stay family, I found myself sitting on a mat under the mango tree for like four hours doing nothing but watching women braid hair.  It used to drive me crazy! Now, I can sit and hang out in the shade drinking tea--no problems. It's so normal for me :) hahaha! I'm gonna be so weird when I go home.
My first year of Peace Corps has been Amazing! I have made so many new friends: Senegalese and other volunteers, and I've already had such a life changing experience thus far.  I couldn't imagine doing anything more rewarding than spending this past year here, and I wouldn't change anything about my service up until this point.  I love my site. I love everyone in PC Senegal. I love the Senegalese culture. I love Senegal. I admit, I do have my down days, especially the past week because I was sick again. However, I found that the good days far outweigh the bad days. :) Senegal: Mi yidee ma buy, wona seeda.  Here's to an even better second year!!!

One year ago: My stage leaving the Dulles airport in DC heading to Senegal! Photo taken by fellow volunteer April Muñiz (Thanks April!)

No comments:

Post a Comment