Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Namesake

I probably have received one of the greatest honors humans have ever bestowed on one another: a Namesake. She is beautiful! Born May 21st, 2011 (two days after my bday) so it's fitting that she is named after me. Her name is Salimatou Samantha Boiro, named in honor of, well, me :) She is the second daughter of my counterpart, and I spent all of last saturday with her, holding her, playing with her, and of course napping with her. I love that both of her names are both of my names: My Senegalese name is Salimatou and my real name is Samantha. I feel so honored!

My Tokora!
Here in Senegal, namesakes are so important. Almost everyone here is a namesake of someone else: a grandmother, uncle, mom, best friend, etc.  In fact, I am a namesake of my host mom Salimatou, and when I was living in Mbour under the name of Adama, I was the namesake of my baby sister.  It's a really great feeling to know that someone wanted to name their baby after you, in your honor.  I love that about this culture. I guess the only problem that occurs though with everyone having the same names is the lack of variety, which is totally true...(I feel like there are maybe a handful or two of names for each gender and ethnic group here in Senegal). All the names are recycled.  I can't tell you how many Mamadous, Dembas, Salimatous, Fatimatas, etc. I know. :) But now we've thrown a new name in the mix: Samantha. Maybe my tokora (namesake) will have a tokora later on down the road and she will be Samantha too :)  

Me and my namesake and her family! <3
Nevertheless, I am honored to have a namesake here in Senegal. She is a beautiful baby. Quiet. Peaceful. I will probably spoil her :)  Now I have 2 little people out there running around with my same name (I technically have a namesake in America. My former boss's daughter) I'm feelin the love :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment