Monday, May 23, 2011

A very "village" Birthday

Birthdays here in Senegal are nothing like they are in America.  Oftentimes, Senegalese people don't know their exact date of birth, and their age is an approximation.  My family members have told me they have a certain age, but their identity cards say something different.  Apparently, parents often change their childrens' birthdays for schooling purposes.  Birthdays are not really celebrated in this country either.  There have been days when I would come home in the evening after spending an entire day with a friend who would casually mention, "Oh well, today is my birthday", like it was just another day. It's completely different than the big deal most of us make of it in America. So this month my birthday fell on this past thursday, the 19th, and I decided to share a bit of American culture with my family.  What better way to share than with a Senegalese/American birthday party? I have to say, I really had a great time, and i think my family enjoyed it too!
 I started my day started off with lovely birthday wishes from my PC friends here in Senegal, which was shortly followed by an awesome meeting in a nearby village called Tayel.  We are doing a scholarship there at the middle school, in addition to the 4 other schools in the Kounkane area. I spent the afternoon with Pam and by the evening we were running errands, buying supplies for dinner, and picking up my birthday cakes :)

My other friends from the area came to celebrate my birthday in the evening. We cooked a similar dish to macaroni and cheese, but we had to use what was available in Kounkane: macaroni noodles, a can of vegetables, Vitalait (extra fattening powdered milk), and Vache qui Rit cheese (similar to Velveeta because it doesn't need to be refridgerated, but different because it's white and creamy).  We added some fresh ground pepper, that Pam literally pounded herself, with some garlic and onions, and voila, we whipped up a Senegalese mac n cheese :)  I'd say about 1/2 my family liked it and the other 1/2 didn't.  Us volunteers loved it though!
After dinner we had a dance party...not my personal choice, but still somehow it happened.  My brothers busted out the stereo and started blaring Senegalese music.  We danced "Yuzza" with my family, but of course, loud music in this country attracts a stampede of neighborhood children.  We were forced to dance for a bit, but later I had to beg my family to turn off the music so all the univited guests would leave.  I didn't buy enough cake and boisson to feed all of Kounkane.....
Family and neighborhood dance party
So my family, sang me a sort of mixed version of Happy Birthday in English and Joyeux Anniversaire (the French version).  It was really sweet! They put a large candle right in the middle of my cake.  We cut up the cake, and of course it was devoured in about 5 minutes with all of my family members.  We all shared boissons (Sprite and Orange Fanta) and mintues later me, Ally, Pam, and Jenae retired to my hut for a late night of more cake (yes I had 2), red and rose wine, and lots of laughs!
Most of my family and I on my bday!

Ally n I cuttin bday cake! :)



 It was a great way to spend my birthday in the "somewhat" village Kounkane is....and in addition to my petite Senegalese celebration, I received lots of bday messages from friends on facebook and text messages :) Thanks for the love! The day following my birthday, I went to Velingara to get the mail and picked up 4 care packages bursting out the seems with American goodies! Thanks Mom and Mike! Now I have deliciousness to last me until vacation! :) So much better than rice and oil :)
A jaraama buy (Huge Thank you!) to all my friends and family for the birthday love!

One really amazing thing about serving in the Peace Corps is all the amazing people you meet, both the locals in the country of service and the other volunteers who serve along side you.  I am so blessed to be surrounded by the people in my Kounkane cluster! In the past nine months since I've arrived I've gained 3 amazing work partners and friends (and many more not mentioned in this post) who've helped make my birthday fabulous, and who also enhance my service everyday.  Peace Corps wouldn't be the same without them! Life long friends: another great benefit of Peace Corps service! :)
My loves...

1 comment:

  1. My love!!! I had no clue it was your b-day this past Thursday so a HUGE happy birthday hug sweetie!!! I'm loving the pictures and I'm super happy you had a blast on your big day! Big hug and kiss girlie and all the best this year for you girlie!!! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete