Friday, April 29, 2011

Sukundu ma weydi???


One thing I love about living in Senegal, is the ability to change your hairstyle drastically, and people will continue to tell you that you are beautiful! It's great! Things most people (especially us females) would probably be extremely hesistant about trying out is actually well accepted here in Senegal.  Is it because we fear the harsh judgement or looks of critisism from our fellow Americans that we feel like we can't change our appearances in an extreme manner? Or is it just that we get a free pass here in Senegal for being a "toubab" where being a volunteer and trying something "Senegalese", or extreme, in a sense, is quite amusing and hilarious?  Or maybe we are tired of feeling yucky all the time from the high temperatures of the hot and dry season that doing something completely different from our "ordinary look" will give us a nice jolt of energy? :) Whatever the underlying reason happens to be, I guess, really doesn't matter because I have bad ass hair, and I LOVE it! 





The story starts out with Ally, (one of my BFFs in country) who was tired of her beautiful, long blonde hair. And with the hot and dry season among us, Ally decided that instead of trying to mess with getting shampoo out of her lovely locks during a bucket bath, or brushing through the tangles we all get from the lack of conditioner, that it would be best to just shave it all off her head. We went to a local hair salon (for boys) and the town of Goundaga's baker/barber/mason shaved off her hair in Kounkane because we have electricity here! :) Ally wanted to rock a mohawk because let's face it, she can here in Senegal, and people love it! Which is precisely what happened.  When Ally and I walked out of the barber shop, all the people around us just stared, but she began to get comments such as "Sukunu ma weydi!" which means your hair is beautiful :) And it is!  Ally is a bad ass for being able to rock a mohawk with such elegance :) 


As much as I wanted to shave my head, I decided to have my sister, Ndiole, braid bright red yarn into my hair.  It was inspired from Ally's avatar costume when she had purple yarn braided into hers.  It took my sister 4 hours! But she is the best hair braider in Kounkane, and it was well worth it! I have literally an entire roll of red yarn tied into my long hair, but it gives me some volume. Everyone also tells me I'm beautiful.  Gotta love that, especially when I feel gross and ugly every day. I have to say that I really enjoy experimenting with different hairstyles here in Senegal; I haven't worked up the courage to shave all of it off yet but I'll keep y'all posted on the next major hair alterations Ally and I decide to do! :) Bisous! xxx
Ally and I with our new hair :)



  

1 comment:

  1. ahh! just stopping by from PC journals to say your hair looks AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete