Friday, January 21, 2011

Fashion Statement of the Month!


I was at the looma (large market) in Diaobe (roadside town about 8k from Kounkane) this past wednesday.  I love going there even though it's really crowded, a little dangerous (pickpocketers), and incredibly loud.  The Diaobe experience is a little like going to the fair: tons of people, many vendors, more fried food/street food than you can handle, etc.  Every wednesday, the town of Diaobe hosts the weekly market, in fact, it is considered to be the largest weekly market in West Africa! You can get so much stuff there. I've been there quite a few times, usually I just go on a whim. But this past wednesday, I accompanied my lovely Pamela to Diaobe.  I got there sooner than Pam (I was coming from Kounkane and she from Velingara). I ate a delicious bean sandwhich for breakfast, and when Pam arrived, we went shopping! :) I love the selection of things one can buy there, anything from honey, blankets, tools, live animals, and veggies among others. I love to buy lots of fruit there too! You can get oranges, bananas, and apples right now.  Soon mangos will be in season; I can't wait! :) The best thing about loomas, is that you can find some really random things there. And what I purchased this week will probably shock many of you.  I'm dedicating this blog post to my newest additon to my wacky Senegalese wardrobe: Jellies. Yes, Jellies.  Do you remember them? From the eighties and early nineties, perhaps that rings a bell? If you have no idea what I'm talking about please refer to the following wikipedia link for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_shoes :)
Rockin the Jellies! :)
Yes, I bought a pair of transparent, light pink jellies.  In fact, I remember owning a pair when I was like 4 or 5 years old and I loved them! According to my mom, I wore them everywhere.  Well, when I saw these shoes sitting in the market,  I knew I had to buy them, and only because it is completely acceptable to wear them here.  Imagine me rocking these beauties in the USA.....can not be done...at least not now.....
Here in Senegal, lots of people wear jellies, especially in my region. So I justify my random purchase as a need for further integration into my community :) I love the random things you can find here....
Yes, I will wear these...

No comments:

Post a Comment