Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Left site for the month...

Happy December!!!
Can you believe this year is almost over? I can't.  So it is December and I'm approaching my fourth month of service (including training).  What have I been up to since my Thanksgiving feast you ask?? Well, I went back to site and my family showed up with a beautiful puppy!  They named him Chocolat (pronounced the french way) and he is the typical Senegalese dog that you see everywhere: white with brown spots.  He is adorable, and by default he officially became my puppy.  I will probably be the only one who will take care of him. But he is so cute; I just couldn't resist. He better be a good dog--inchallah. 


I spent a few days at site, left for Tamba, and spent the night there.  We had to head up to Thies for the All volunteer conference, and because I live so far away in Kolda, I spent two days getting up there.  The All Vol conference was a two-day conference where all the volunteers in Senegal and a few from the Gambia, Togo, and Burkina Faso congregated for learning and sharing information.  I learned a lot of new things, and the conference made me eager to start working.  I even went on a bee keeping field trip. Nice.  When the conference ended, my stage stayed in Thies because we have our in-service training for the next two weeks.  I've been learning lots of interesting SED stuff.  I really can't wait to start working. 
Well, I am missing site.  I really love it down south.  Now I"m in Wolof country and I don't speak the language.  Sometimes I can find a few random pulaar speakers scattered throughout the city, but I usually have to switch to French.  One positive thing I have discovered is that my Pulaar has improved tremendously!  This past sunday, I went back to Mbour with Ali and Pam to visit our PST family (when I was still a Diallo).  I was able to hold on a conversation with them for a long time; I have indeed improved in the last 5 weeks! Yea!!! I still have a lot to learn, but it is always refreshing and encouraging to know that I have made improvements.  :)
I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas season!  I am missing that--it is seriously non-existent here...maybe in Dakar I can find some Christmas-y things?? I'll keep y'all updated!
Sending love from Senegal! xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment